Posts Tagged ‘Microsoft’

Upon loading the WIM file , copying the operating system and restarting it comes up with a Parse Error for the answer file

Image Deployment : Invalid unattend answer file - Software Deployment &  Patching

The best way to find the cause of this is to press Shift and F10 ( with the function key on a surface ) and open c:\Windows\Panther\unattend.xml

Viewing this I saw the OSD computer name was 16 Characters due to the Serial number being 12 Characters and our company name being 4 XXX- which made it 16 which goes over the 15 Character limit, you can trim the computer name! 


Add this to customsettings.ini



Change OSDComputerName


GD Star Rating
GD Star Rating

Recently we had moved some onpremise Server 2016 machines to Azure using ASR. When trying to activate them using the Microsoft steps

  • cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /dlv
  • cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk WC2BQ-8NRM3-FDDYY-2BFGV-KHKQY
  • cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

It did not work, we had to use Automatic Virtual Machine Activation (AVMA)

  1. slmgr /ipk C3RCX-M6NRP-6CXC9-TW2F2-4RHYD
GD Star Rating
GD Star Rating

Reason #1 > Add in is Disabled

  • iManage Ribbon is missing
  • Save and open default to local dialogs
  • Document does not check in on close
  • History shows checkin was application DeskSite or Outlook vs. Word, Excel, PPT
  • Application Crash
  • Load Behavior: 0 or 2 = Disabled ( 3 = Enabled ) 

Solution 9.x
  • Add iManage Add ins to the DoNotDisableAddinList for each application
  • (Only available for Office 2013 and later)
Solution 9.3.2 and later
Installer now adds Work addins to these registry keys automatically
User clicks Yes to disable the Addin , it can still be disabled.

9.x Office Add in

Name of Add IN : 
Its a Com-integration

Work 10 Office Addin

Its a VSTO

Adobe Reader

Work 9.x Adobe Addin

  • iManAcrobat10.api (!HZQUBAJT!zVK9TphY6HLlnlv98Gzvgp7lIkRqiCkALEtRqMSLzJI ) 
  • iManAcrobatReader10.api (!6FByFA6Q!njcPUo2eMEeuE2Kw-ebJhfXzRKEIQaYuaoNU1rqA0Yg ) 
  • iManAcrobatRes.dll (!WMBQSCCT!d52KsDZNZjC4h8awHtmXOQ ) 

Work 10 Adobe Addin

  • iManageWorkPlugin.api
  • iManageWorkPluginRd.api
  • iManageWorkPluginRes.dll

Reason #2 > PRF is left behind

Work 9.X

Checkout: File and PRF copied from File Store to NrPorbl
Checkin : File and PRF copied to NRTEcho
PRF can be modified
Software keeps handle on the PRF

Work 10

Checkout: Hidden PRF attached
Checkin  Document and PRF stay in folder

GD Star Rating
GD Star Rating

Recently had a user trying to open a program on a Microsoft surface which had the highest resolution setting using a terminal server and the resolution was far too small on the program.

You can change this to use a standard DPI mode via the steps below

  1. Open the Registry and add the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > SideBySide

  1. Right-click, select NEW > DWORD (32 bit) Value
  2. Type PreferExternalManifest, and then press ENTER.
  3. Right-click PreferExternalManifest, and then click Modify.
  4. Enter Value Data and select Decimal.

Per this document :

Then find the program executable ( .exe ) and create a program.exe.manifest ( Program being the program name ) in the same folder with the code from the below

GD Star Rating
GD Star Rating

Office-365-New[1]You can forward these emails to : [email protected] or use the Outlook plugin to report and hopefully Microsoft should block these in future :


Microsoft have actually now got a new filtering service for 365 however its paid for and by user you could maybe try :

It’s not uncommon nowadays to have another third party appliance such as a barracuda or a hosted service such as post fix to filter items before they get to 365. It seems once a spammer figures out how to exploit 365 , all domains get the same spam. 2 layers of protection is safer!


1) Make sure your own SPF Records are in check :

2) Get your DKIM records in check :

3) Get your DMARC Records in check :

GD Star Rating
GD Star Rating


Recently had a user who could not access the Sharepoint site via Chrome/IE, it kept presenting the user with a username and password box. Other users in the organisation could access it fine.

On another computer we used the Sharepoint option of Signing In As Different User and signed in as the problem user and it worked fine.

Checking the proxy settings on the computer to make sure the URL/Server address was being bypassed which it was.

Went to Credential Manager in Control Panel

Removed the Windows Credentials for reference to the website, Fixed!


GD Star Rating
GD Star Rating

 prometric_logo_print[1]I’ve recently taken part in the Microsoft Virtualisation exam 3 weeks ago , however my Prometric Exam is still not on my MCP transcript. After contacting Microsoft here is the problem :

We have just received an update from the Escalations team.

“Normally, it takes up to 7 days for customers to receive their exam data, however, due to data feed issues that occurred between Prometric and MS Cert over a 2 week period, there may be as many as 12000 exam records that were not uploaded, resulting in missing exam data for many customers across all regions. The Prometric and MS Cert team is aware of these issues and they are working on getting the data feed issues corrected.

We hope the feed issues will be resolved over the next couple of days.”

As per the update, there is still no specific time yet of the time of completion. Furthermore, we have already raised your concern to our back end engineering team. Rest assured that the team is working to have your concern resolved.

GD Star Rating
GD Star Rating