Recently a user was having issues opening excel files , were by a 600kb file could take around 20 seconds to open. When you copied this file locally to the computer it opened it straight away , and other computers accessing the file had no problem. What I did notice was when you opened the file , the network usage would spike to 7mb/s for the entire time while only retrieving a 600kb file. Opening .pdf / .doc files around double or triple the size would open instantly A bit of research online only proved the fault/fix with a Windows 7 setup accessing office 2003 documents http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982860 I tried the “Under the registry entry, disable these two registry keys: Right-click Enablesecuritysignature, and then click Modify. Type 0 in the Value data box and then click OK. Right-click Requiresecuritysignature, and then click Modify. Type 0 in the Value data box and then click OK.” However no success , my setup however was Windows XP and Office 2003. After much searching the fix was actually pretty recent from microsft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2570623 “reduces performance due to the network traffic when reading in the parts of the workbook” So upgrade to 2007/2010 or disable OFV!
You can perform the below fix manually , or I have create a .re file which does it http://www.pariswells.com/upload/fix.zip
You can use the EnableOnLoad registry entry to configure how you want Excel to handle opening workbooks for the OFV. By default, the EnableOnLoad entry is not present in the Windows registry. To add the EnableOnLoadentry to the Windows registry, follow these steps:
- Exit Excel.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click to select the following registry key: **EDIT** Thanks to Frank in the comments , the proper key is ” HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0″ Old key “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\”
- After you select the key that is specified in step 3, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click Key.
- Type Excel, and then press ENTER.
- Select Excel, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click Key.
- Type Security, and then press ENTER.
- Select Security, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click Key.
- Type FileValidation, and then press ENTER.
- Select FileValidation, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type EnableOnLoad, and then press ENTER. Note: The default value is 0 which disables the validation.
- On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
Tags: .xls slow from network share, 2570623, Excel 2003 slow to open network, Excel Slow Opening From Network Share, High Network Usage Office 2003, OFV, The Office File Validation, Windows XP Excel 2003 slow opening
Trackback from your site.