Posted by paris on Jun 3, 2011 in Notes
Voice Over IP providers , provide you with a service to listen to your voice mails held on the system via email. Usually there’s a choice between MP3 ( Which costs money due to the licensing fee) , VML or .WAV ( Uncompressed so large file size ) .
Usually there will be an online portal for you to login to via Internet Explorer and download an Active X control to be able to play the files through a browser. This control will download a player usually stored in C:\Windows\System32\VMPlayer.exe , where you can associate .vml’s to in your operating system. However for some reason in Windows 7 the player does not work if you try and open a .vml file with it. If you open the VMPlayer and open the VML file by searching for it it does.
Evening following through the file association instructions here http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12328 , it still crashes when you try and open the vml file through the VMPlayer. The only resolution I found to this was to switch the voicemail file type to .WAV ( or MP3 ) and let Windows media player or another media player take care of the audio!
Posted by paris on Jan 28, 2011 in Notes
Shutdown storage controllers and power-off the existing MSA.
Connect the SAS cables to the output ports on the existing MSA and to the input ports (on the left if you’re looking at the back of the unit) on the expansion cabinet. (Remember to remove the tiny plastic tabs from both ends of the cables!).
Power on the EXPANSION unit first! Wait for a couple of minutes for the controllers to init.
Power on the MSA. Wait for the storage controllers to boot. Log into the web interface. You should see the new enclosure listed in the tree view. (the LED display on the expansion unit will change to “2” when it’s detected)
Create a new RAID-10 virtual disk with hot spare, using the disks in the expansion unit.
Create new volumes (and tick the “Map” box to assign LUNs) to fill the virtual disk (VMware can’t support volumes larger than 2TB).
Power-on the hosts. Rescan storage controllers to locate the new LUNs.
Go to Configuration -> Storage and Add Storage. It will detect the new LUNs and you can create datastores on each.
Posted by paris on Jan 25, 2011 in Notes
The Sage Accounts add in for Excel requires 2 Add Ins to be Enabled. One is called the Sage EIR add in and the other is Sage Report Designer for 97. Even for Office 2007 the Sage Report Designer still needs to be enabled. For the add in to show and work you might need to add these Files Manually
Sage EIR add in
Go to Excel , Options , Add-In’s
Go to manage “Excel Add Ins” , Then tick “Sage EIR add in”. If this is not in the list, click on browse and search for this file. You will have to change the drop down of “File Type” from XLA Excel Addin’s to “All Files”
Sage Report Designer for 97
Go to Excel , Options , Add-In’s
Go to manage “Excel Add Ins” , Then tick “Sage EIR add in”. If this is not in the list, click on browse and search for XLA’s in the directory
Add any XLA’s and enable them
Once these have been added and enabled you should see the Sage Report Wizard in Add In’s. One thing , if you click on Sage Account Line , ( in the add in toolbar) and go to About the version to access Sage Line 2007 Data should be 18.104.22.168. When you install a new version of Sage Accounts , this file gets upgraded to 22.214.171.124 which does not work with Sage Account 2007. So you will need to uninstall any newer versions and reinstall older versions to be able to report data in Excel
Posted by paris on Jan 18, 2011 in Notes
When BT install and Setup Infinity they setup 2 boxes. One is the Infinity Modem which is presented with a standard telephone connection and the modems then presents a Ethernet connection. This then plugs into a BT Home Hub to provide the routing and NAT.
We needed to install a Draytek Router for a LAN to LAN VPN. Just to note if you provide your own router with BT infinity , it will need to be a Cable router not an ADSL Router. You cannot use the DSL Modem in a normal ADSL/ADSL2 Router to Sync with BT Infinity. Therefore a Draytek 2710 will not work with BT Infinity as it does not have a cable connection , only a 2820 ( Latest Model in the Draytek range ).
To set this up on a 2820, if you disable Wan1 ( The Adsl Port ) and then Go into Internet Access , then Enable Wan2 Port for PPPoE.
You will need to enter the following username : bthomehub
@btbroadband.com the password can be anything. After this the PPPoE connection will start, get the Dynamic IP address from BT and Start working!
Posted by paris on Oct 27, 2010 in Notes
Old Universal Search
Today Google has changed the way its Google Universal Search performs with results it knows are local. Before when you searched for a sevice with a town in the search phrase e.g. Hair Salon London , a google map would display any local business’ it had in it’s database in that area.
Today when performing a search the Map is now to the right of the listing above the Sponsored Links and the local business listings are in the main organic search column. There is more room now for the business to display it’s google places description and a review if available. This change has confused me quite a bit, there is obiously positives and negatives for a whole range of stakeholders.
1) People who spend money on PPC and don’t have enough budget to make it to the top 3 items on the page are downgraded to the
New Universal Search
listings on the right of the page. You still get clicks but it’s not as prime position as the top of the page. These now will appear quite a bit further down the page , which means an even less priority placement on the page. When you scroll down the page the map on the right hand side, follows you down and actually flows over the top of the paid for listings! Local business will have to result to increasing their Adsense Budgets and maximum PPC to make sure they are visible at all on the top 3 results. Your probably looking at around 40p – 70p per click with some local campaigns I have worked on , which is quite an outgoing for one person business’!
2) The places results are now mimicking the look of the existing organic results only identifiable in their natural habitat by the Red Marker. This gives the user searching an advantage of more items available on a single page and according to google cuts down a users search to from 5 – 10 seconds to 2 seconds. Nice!
3) This now puts a huge strain on local business’ to optimise their Google Places listings. One thing I can recommend is CONTENT. Theres no denying google loves content, so make sure you use your google places account to the maximum by placing videos, photos and information about your business.
See what google have to say about Place Search
Posted by paris on Jul 6, 2010 in Notes
If you have a Blackberry User you wish to move to another Blackberry Enterprise Server on a seperate blackberry domain ( which means they utlize different blackberry user databases) you will need to go through the following tasks :
1) Backup the Blackberry Device via Blackberry Desktop Manager
2) Delete the User from the Old Blackberry Enterprise Server , and make sure you choose : “Yes – Delete the user and remove the BlackBerry information from the user’s mail system” , this removes all the Blackberry information in Exchange for the User ( Hence the backup )
3) Wipe the device ( Go to Options, Select Security Options, Select General Settings then Click the Menu key, Select Wipe Handheld, Click Continue, Type “blackberry”)
4) Perform a restore on the device with the blackberry backup you took
5) Setup the new user on the new server with an activation password
6) Perform a reactivation with the new enterprise server ( Option , Advanced Options , Enterpise Activation )
Posted by paris on Mar 2, 2009 in Notes
Unfortunately last month I came back to my Vauxhall Astra MK4 only to find out someone had reversed into it with a tow bar. Upon inital upset I found a new replacment bumper for my ASTRA MK4 on ebay in my exact colour ( Matt Black ) for £30 ( £45 Inc Delivery ). This wasn’t too bad I thought as my other bumper did have some wear and tear! After I recieved the bumper my next task was to swap the bumpers .. easier said then done. Luckily I found an online guide here
Here goes my Guide ( Click on pictures to get a larger version ) :
No.20 Torx Bit
Small Flat Screw driver
Long Nose Pliers
Using the Torx 20 Screw Driver , Under 2 Screws on inside the right and lef wheel arch as shown via the picture. If difficultly getting the screwdriver in , turn the stearting to full right and left lock depending on the side
Get undernearth the bottom of your bonnet. You are looking for 3 Clips as shown
. Use the flat head screwdriver to leaver the top of the pin out, after this has come out , Pull the rest of the pin out with the long nose pliers. After these have been removed , gently pull the sides away of the wing’s of the bumper as shown to loosen them
Open the car bonnet ( Leaver by the side of the driver footwell! ) and find 2 more clips on the top of it. Use the screwdriver again to leaver out the top of the pin, then use the long nose pliers to pull out the whole pin. Once these are out you can gently pull away at the side and the front and the bumper should come right off!
Things to remember to take off your old Bumper!
Removing clips on Vauxhall Astra
- Number Plate , Tow Bar Cover , Metal Clips for Screws
Posted by paris on Dec 15, 2008 in Notes
This device can be purchased through various retailers , however the cheapest place I have found it was EbuyerHere
Download TomTom Install File From :
Once you have the device , plug in the USB Cable into your computer and power the device on
Switch it to USB Mode on the GPS when asked and the Mass Storage should appear on your computer
Remove the Files on the memory card of the Device ( DO NOT REMOVE “HIDDEN SYSTEMS FILES” Folder)
Unrar (Using Winrar
the file you just downloaded off Rapidshare
This should give you 3 Folders
Copy United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland_v720.1802 and mobilenavigator to the Memory Card
Copy the folder TTN7 to C:\ Drive
After the transfer of the folders has finished remove the USB lead an start up the GPS Button which should launch TomTom
It will bring up an error about activation , click on the Voucher and this will bring up more Errors.
Plug the device back into the computer and go into the mobilenavigator on the memory card and open the ttnavigator.bif in notepad and find the Line “DeviceUniqueID=”
Copy the Series of letters after it and then go to the TTN7 folder on your C Drive , Right click on the “Edit, Save, Open.bat” and click edit.
Change the Value “XXXX-XXXX” to your value from the “DeviceUniqueID=” value you copied from your device and save the file , close it , then double click on it
This should create a United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland-14.meta.dct in the same directory. Copy this file to the United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland_v720.1802 folder.
Remove the USB lead and open the GPS Software from the GPS Button which will open TomTom.
You will need to set the GPS device , by going into Change Preferences , GPS Signal , Configure , Choose “Other wired NMEA” , Leave the Baud rate , then Select Com 7
Posted by paris on Nov 9, 2008 in Notes
WET54G Close Up
Recently after setting up a Linksys Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge WET54G
to bridge an Xbox 360 to a wireless network rather than using a Xbox 360 Wireless Card
, it randomly lost its configuration. Reconfiguring this device should of been easy , but not when Linksys try and make it hard as possible to get the information out!
- Right , so first port of call , hold down the reset button for 30 Seconds to reset to factory configurations
- Linksys’ “quick guide” states that you need the CD to start the Configuration Launcher .. Who Keeps CD’s Nowadays?
- Try and find the Software on the WET54G Page with My Version 2 Product
- Nothing! , Contact Linksys 24/7 Chat Support , After 10 Mins , shows me back to the download Page
- After more investigation this is only available on the Version 3 Product Page ??? Here’s the link you need! WET54G_Wizard_2_13.zip
- Installed the Configuration Software however if you are doing this remotely for a friend via his Wireless Internet and the Bridge is connected to the Ethernet Port , the software can’t check both ports even if if windows can ping it!
- Right , Go to it Manually , its standard IP address is
IP Address : 192.168.1.226
Username : *Don’t Enter one!*
Password : admin
From here you can fully configure the product and rejoin it to the wireless network!
Posted by paris on Oct 26, 2007 in Notes
- ATM Quality
- On the Fly Trade Up Between Raw Capcity of Line and Quality
- Backhaul is how one Wimax tower would speak to the other ( 5Ghz Range )
- Needs to be Lower the 10 Ghz Due to the Technogy for Long Distance
Non Line Of Site ( Convient forMobile Users )
- Lower Frequency ( Under 10 Ghz )
Line Of Site ( Higher Bandwidth Lower Error Rates )
- Higher Frequency (10 – 66Ghz )
Inverse Fast Fourier Transform is used in a WiMAX transmitter
Fast Fourier Transform) is used in a WiMAX receiver
How It Works?
- Base Stations want to communicate with WiMax Access Point By Random Interupt
- MAC uses scheduling Algorithm
- Once Completed they are given a Slot at the access point which can be adjusted and will remain the base stations untill not needed
- QoS Is Balanced By the access point depending on the users QoS Settings